Sunday, September 1, 2013

Sept. 1st, My Roomie's Birthday!

Ok, So here I go, kicking off another month-of-blogging thing. I've started making a list of the stuff I'll write about, and so far I have only one thing besides today.
Today is Sunday the first, and since I was a wee lad, I knew that if the first of the month fell on a Sunday, then I could look forward to a Friday the 13th. I was a strange child.

Play this video as you read the rest of this post. It will set *quite* the mood.

Well, today is my roommate's birthday, and even though he was one of the very first people I met when my family moved to our current town 11 years ago, I struggled to think of an appropriate gift.
I'm one who tries really hard to be thoughtful and fun when it comes to gift-giving (hopefully the recipients agree), but I finally came up with something. A little background:
10 year ago, in a small suburb of a small city, I was sort of new to town and my friend circle was also small. My family had a Nintendo GameCube and few games. The games that we had were largely due to the games we'd played and liked at our friend's houses. Anyway, my one friend, who is now my roommate, introduced me to a little gem called "Animal Crossing." It was a fun game with happy creatures and no real end goal. Sounds childish and boring? IT WASN'T. My brothers and I spent way too many hours over the course of several years playing that game and paying off debts to a greedy raccoon and furnishing our little houses and digging up fossils and shaking trees and running away from bees. Lots of fun.
Forward to the present, I decided a couple weeks ago that I'd make my friend a little gift-bag of Animal Crossing stuff in happy memory of the world he introduced me too. Lame? Useless? Potentially awkward? Yes, yes, and yes. But also: NOSTALGIA! I'll put up a picture of my little creation (and hopefully someone in the internet world will see it and post it to spritestitch.com and lead me to gamer-crafting glory)...
I hand-made it all! I used felt for the Fossil, Pitfall Seed, Bell (coin), and the Leaf. I crocheted the Bells Bag. Everything fits inside the bag too! I also made a letter (that I forgot to get a picture of) that looks like this:
Except it's made of paper and actually letter-sized.
I hope the gift if well-received, but regardless, I had fun making it. I wonder if I put too much effort into this kind of stuff....

Okay, Here I shall conclude the first post of 30. If you have an idea for a future post, comment below! I read every one!

No comments:

Post a Comment