Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Sept. 17th, Career Woes, Sort Of...

I like my job as a librarian, I really do. Unfortunately, because of the way my city is structured and budget stuff and everything else, I'll basically never have much of a career ladder to climb and be stuck at part-time, minimum wage until people either retire, move, or die. Even when one of those things happens and a higher-up position opens up, there are tons of other people who would try for the opening. Most of my co-workers are either sorta-recently graduated from college, still in college, or have a family of their own to support. I'm really no more "deserving" of a promotion than any other people I work with. We're all poor young-ish people supporting ourselves and in need of health benefits and other things that were once a given in most professions.
So, because of all that, I've been on the lookout for another job for a year now, and submitted dozens of applications and had some interviews, but nothing has come to fruition. It's frustrating and depressing and I've considered moving abroad again to find a good paying job. I would much prefer to be able to stay near my friends and family than move 10,000 miles away, but who knows where I'll be in a year or two?
Some of my coworkers have an additional job or two since part-time minimum wage is simply not enough to live on. (Well, maybe it is,barely, but it's quite stressful and not easy.) Since it seems that no business in my town will ever hire full-time (in what seems to be an effort to avoid paying employee benefits), part-time seems like its about the only option, and having more than one job is also becoming the norm for people my age, college graduate or not.
There are some interesting articles about how healthcare issues are pushing the country into a part-time job nation. Should I be concerned that I'll never have a single, full-time job? (See this page and this page for sources.)
Well, today I made a decision to apply to another part-time job. That's not that amazing, I guess, but for a year I've been trying to find a full-time position just about anywhere; accepting that another part-time job is maybe the only thing I have a chance at is a little sad. It's not like I'm giving up, but it does feel like I'm admitting a certain kind of defeat.
I usually don't get too personal in this blog, because heaven forbid someone reads this and asks me about my feelings...ugh (and if anyone IS reading this and asks me about my feelings, I will kindly tell you "no"). Anyway, because I still enjoy a little mystery about myself, I'm not going to tell what I'm applying for, except that the receptionist I talked to today was very encouraging and positive, so I think I have a chance. I'll post later if I find out good news. Wish me luck.

I hope this post doesn't seem negative or pessimistic. I know I'm not the only one feeling bummed about this kind of thing, and I'm not trying to be whiny. I feel like I'm being positive in an uncertain time as much as possible. Also, I'm not worried that my boss might see this, since he is aware and quite supportive and understanding of me and my coworkers in this situation - this is no secret to him.

Come back tomorrow if you want - I'll post again!

No comments:

Post a Comment