Friday, September 13, 2013

Sept. 13th, Cake-Pops and Curses!

Today is Friday the 13th! I don't even think I mentioned that out loud today...
Work was pretty good. For having a freaking CRAZY Monday, the rest of the week seemed tame. Also, I was off at 3 today so I felt pretty good.
My mom and I had plans for dinner and stuff, so after work I went to the store to pick up some stuff for the trial cake-pops we were going to make. Walmart, which has everything, did not have the candy melts that I needed, so I had to run to the craft store in town to buy them.
Craft stores are my weakness. I usually don't make it out without spending more than I intended. Today, though, I did well and only bought some cool border stamps for like 5 dollars. Semi-self control!
After all that running around I went to my parent's house to make practice cake-pops with my mom. My mom was awesome and already made the cake so it would be cool when I got there. We crumbled up the cake and added the frosting, and we used a cookie baller to make uniform cake balls. It worked like a dream. That is, it worked like a dream until it came time to dip them in the melted chocolate.
It's been very rainy lately and so humid, and I think that is why the dipping sucked so bad. The chocolate just would NOT stay smooth. Eventually I went online to see if other people had the problem and I saw that someone recommended a small amount shortening to smooth it all up. It worked so well! we'd tried the oil already like the bag said, but the shortening made all the difference.
I didn't take pictures, but they looked pretty much like the kind in that video I posted from YouTube the other day, except without the flames at the base.
It was a lot of work, but it was fun spending time with my mom and stuff. We also had shrimp Alfredo pasta - three [of many] of my favorite things.
Okay, so no Friday the 13th would be complete without something weird, and in this case, gross and annoying. Flies! Flies everywhere! I don't know where they all came from, but there were so many at my parents house today! Even my mom was freaking out because they were attacking out house! There may be some nefarious haunting going on, or a rotting corpse in the garage, or suddenly flies like the scent of canning chili.... but those darn-hootin' flies were so annoying and they just kept appearing. It reminded me of the "chickens with large talons" lunch scene in Napoleon Dynamite. So gross, ugh I hate flies. I was diligent in keeping the horrid things away from the food and treat-making though.
Tomorrow is Saturday! I'm planning to go to the matinee of Pacific Rim at the town's cheap theater. I don't know much about this movie, except that GLaDOS's voice is in it. Nerd much? I don't even care, I want GLaDOS to narrate my life for me.
See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment