Saturday, September 7, 2013

Sept. 7th, Piano!

For almost a year, I've been taking real piano lessons. I've taken lessons before, and for a decently long time, but this time has been lots of fun because I am basically able to choose whatever I want to play. In less than two months I'll be in my third recital since I started last October. I've been working on a really fun piece for the recital, and I'm trying to memorize it, but the chords and key modulate almost constantly. Anyway, I'm going to be ready by October if I put myself to the task.
It's a Halloween recital, so I chose a really fun piece called "The Addams Family Waltz" by Marc Shaiman. It's from the 1991 film and this particular piece doesn't have the familiar theme that everyone knows, but instead is a perfect sort of Dance Macabre. I've only found one video of someone playing the piece, and they do a pretty good job. Do you like it?
Another piece that I'm working on is one that I've been wanting to learn for years, so I'm glad that I have a teacher who can help me finally learn it. It's "Aunt Marge's Waltz" by John Williams. I've posted it about it before, but I'll post the video again...
I love this piece! It's bonkers. I think it will take a lot of practice to get it right and as fast as it's supposed to be, but I'm determined!

I'm also working on a piece called "Bells of Freedom" by Jon Schmidt, but I'm not going to post a video of that one. I'm not that big of a Jon Schmidt fan, and probably that's only the case because it seems like every single other Utahn just loves him and knows all his music and is also learning his pieces on the piano. That's pretty shallow of me, I guess. I will admit that some of his stuff is rather good, and I'm glad for the success of The Piano Guys. Beside all that, it's a piece that my teacher suggested, so I obliged.

The other stuff I'm working on is the nitty gritty... scales and arpeggios. Scales I'm not too bad at, but I'm working on arpeggios a bunch and not getting much better. In all the years of piano lessons, this is the first time I've ever done them, and they are not as easy as I wish. My biggest motivation to get them right is that there are a few pieces I'd like to learn that have some hefty arpeggios...so wish me luck!

I still try to write little music bits here and there, and even though I'm not very prolific, I still have fun with what I do. Here's a quick and short (and not too original) piece that you'll probably recognize pieces of...

I should try to add more to it since it's so short and simple. Any suggestions?

Hopefully if you read this blog I'm not boring you to death. If I am, let me know what I should blog about (but tell me nicely!).
See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment