Friday, May 10, 2013

London - Day 2

By going to bed before 10 pm, I was wide awake by 5:45 am, which has never happened to me in my life. I think I was in the process of adjusting to the time change. Anyway, I had a great day and walked about a thousand miles and got really sore feet and legs. I'll suffer in silence though.
Because I woke so early, I went for a morning walk to the garden across the street, where everything smells like spring flowers and the birds are not afraid of people. It was very nice to get out and get some fresh air before setting out for the day in the city.
Queen's Garden (I think that's the name) at Regents Park.

A bird with her chicks.
 After breakfast, we set out. I rode the Tube, and I'd forgotten how loud it is! Also, I've been spoiled be Seoul's metro system, so London's was a bit more cramped and bumpy comparatively. The station we came out of was at the base of Big Ben, and we were in the area to listen to it chime 10 o'clock. It was fun to hear.
 We kept around Westminster for a bit on our way to watch the changing of the guard at Buckingham, but the guard-changing was split up, and in 3 separate pieces. If I remember right, last time there was only one "parade" and it had quite the pomp to it.
Part of the group in front of Westminster Abbey.

This is the fountain/monument directly in front of Buckingham Palace.

The Guards are changing!

Accidental shot of my foot.

Buckingham Palace! The tulips were astonishing!
 Later in the afternoon, I met up with my friend Dani, whom I became friends with last time I was here. It was very fun to catch up, as well as to go out for fish and chips and some really good onion rings.
I don't know what this place was.
 After dinner (and changing my shoes) I went on a London Walk. I chose the "Haunted West End" walk, and  had a great time. The guide was funny and told lots of good ghost tales. Parts of the walk were down spooky alleys and were lit by gas lanterns. It was a fun way to spend the evening.
I didn't catch any glimpses of ghosts, but maybe there's one caught in the picture...
After the walk, I went back to the college, but found the back gate locked. Not a big deal, I just had to walk around the side to the front gate. I WENT THE WRONG WAY! I should have gone to the right, but I was sorta turned around and went to the left. I walked ALL the way around Regents Park, by myself at 10 pm. I was just about the only person in sight the whole time too. It was an hour of walking, and wondering where the heck I was, but I figured that I was on the right block, I just needed to keep going. And keep going I did. I will never make that error again. I showered the city grit off and went to bed and was asleep before I could count to 10.
Check back soon for day 3!

No comments:

Post a Comment