Sunday, July 12, 2020

The End

It's been about four years since my last post. I doubt anyone noticed, but getting readers wasn't ever the point of keeping this blog. The point was originally to be an open journal of sorts. I started it as I was nearing the end of college, soon to move to South Korea, and I needed an easy way to update family and friends who wanted to know what I was up to.
While I lived in South Korea, I did a pretty good job at keeping active on here, posting pictures and videos and stories, and I'm SO glad I did. This blog is a record of my time there, and I still occasionally read over those old posts, typos and all, and relive those days happily.
This blog even had a moment of popularity (around 20,000 hits on a single post) when I arranged a piano duet and posted the song on YouTube, with the sheet music link this blog. I got an email from Google suggesting that I monetize the both YouTube channel and my blog, but no, "I couldn't possibly sell out like that, think of the children!" And I figured it was a flash in the pan and ignored the offer. And I was right! Ha!
I continued to post here and there, but as my life settled into a more normal, outwardly uninteresting string of days, I lost motivation to keep posting, only writing once in a very great while. I never felt guilty or like I wasn't upholding my end of any blogging promise, so it just wasn't an issue for me to let it sit.
I used to have my default browser tabs set to include my blogger dashboard so I'd be reminded to write, but a few years ago I just felt like it wasn't doing me any good. I remember changing the settings and thinking, "well, I had a good run I guess," knowing I was basically done with the blog. It was also around that time that I started to notice that the other bloggers I followed hadn't posted much either. (As of writing this, the most recent post by a blogger I followed was a year ago.)
I'm not upset or anything, I've just felt like blogging here was fun and good, but not something I'm going to continue to do. I'm not the same person I was when I started, I'm not writing for anyone, and in a happy-sad way, I need to let go and move on.
Over there last four years, I've been dealt a slice of life and a dose of reality, and I think I've grown a LOT and for the better. I hardly use any social media, I've accepted that my own online presence doesn't matter to anyone, that my life doesn't need to be on display, and I need to practice self care. I try to keep my important relationships healthy, and focus on the life I have ahead of me.

This post has been in my mind for a while, and maybe needlessly so (because really, no one reads this and it's not an apology for never posting anymore), however, there have been various blogs over the years that I followed and wondered what ever happened to the blogger... In the event someone reads this, I hope this offers some closure. Maybe it's more closure for me...
It's been a fun ride, full of the best memories and the best people and adventures. I've posted from computers, laptops, my iPod touch, smartphones, even edited a post from my old original Kindle once, and I've done so is some amazing place in the world. I remember blogging from London as well as Hawaii and literally falling asleep from exhaustion while writing for this blog, and it's been awesome. I'm glad I have these memories.

I'm stepping away from this blog for good. Let's all take care of ourselves. Love people as best you can. Embrace differences. Feel deeply and live and love in a way that fulfills you.

I wish anyone reading this all the best.

Signing off,
Brandon

No comments:

Post a Comment